Monday, March 11, 2019

Dear Tigers

Dear Tigers,

I suppose I'm supposed to say something about the incredible education I received, how it put me ahead in life and whatnot.

I did get a great education. Probably not in the best major for me, but what's done is done. I also had a great time...not what you're thinking, just eating confetti cake at 2am, knolling, dance parties in our dorm, pranking our suitemates with a rubber lizard in the shower (still have him, his name is Thrilla).

But I went to one of those "Best of..." schools, so I was supposed to do something with my life. The truth is I now work a basic part time job and am on disability for mental illness issues. I feel like a failure. I hide when an old classmate comes into my store. I see these young pretty girls with t-shirts from my social club but feel too fat and unsuccessful to say anything because I am ashamed.

We are told that we can do anything...
But sometimes we can't. Sometimes we end up in a fight with God, sleeping too much, isolating ourselves, and feeling like we squandered our 'potential.' Sometimes we fail...and failing despite graduating from a great school just adds to the shame.

tbc...

No comments:

Post a Comment