Monday, February 23, 2009

Secrets, Control, and Blogging.

I like to keep secrets.
Actually, what I like is to be in control of when and how I release personal information.

For the most part this isn't difficult. People are busy, distracted, and let's face it, self-centered. They could care less about my rambling thoughts and opinions and emotional dramarama.

PostSecret has proved that sharing secrets is cathartic. Blogging gave me a way to release my thoughts and feelings and to process life. In the beginning it was easy. I only knew of a few close friends who read my blog, and these were people that I probably share most openly with anyway.

About two week ago I discovered that my mom had found my blog. Suddenly I had no secrets. I have no control.

I don't know why it bothers me so much. Part of me wishes it didn't. But now every time I sit down to write something my brain turns on this uber-filter, and in the end, nothing comes out. I feel like I lost a bit of my privacy.

I don't know if I'll get over this. It may be the death of this blog, or all blogging for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment