Wednesday, December 2, 2009

saying no

I just had the most frustrating conversation ever.  I wish I could say "most heartbreaking," but I think reality and doubt have hardened my heart.

Visits from my friend June have been getting more frequent lately.  Most of the time I am at a loss as to what to do for her.  I obviously can't give her everything she asks for, and thats really just not my place.  But saying no is hard, especially to someone you want to invest in and have some sort of relationship with.

I decided that I wouldn't answer my door after 10:30 anymore.  Boundaries are good, right?  She knocked 3 different times before I answered.*

I said no, I wouldn't give her money.  I offered her blankets (including my favorite), but that wasn't what she wanted.

I was mean, but I wasn't cruel.

Handouts aren't the answer.  I'm not the answer.
When I figure out what it is, I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment